Sunday, July 12, 2009

Make Believe

Acacia was tumbling and crawling and pulling herself up all over the lounge in the watchful care of her doting daddy so I snuck upstairs to wake Honour up from her lunchtime nap on my own.

She had already been awake for some time and was clearly extremely busy tending to a row of teddies and dolls that she'd lined up at the head of her cot.

"Waiting for doctor" she announced. "Waiting, waiting. Have wait for doctor."
(She's cottoned on to how the National Health Service works already).

She turned and tucked up her doll Cupcake under her cover.

With Acacia downstairs, I took advantage of some sweet one-on-one time with daughter numero uno. I hopped into the cot with her.

"Lie down, mummy, lie down."

I lay down next to Cupcake.

Honour tucked me in, being very careful to cover my bare toes.

"Baby is plorly (poorly)" she informed me of Cupcake's medical status. "Baby too hot. Baby born in ambulance. Too hot."

"Baby need cuddle. You give cuddle mummy."

I obliged, poor Cupcake was clearly in a bad way after her sudden birth in an ambulance...what with the being too hot and all.

Honour then took Cupcake back and cuddled her making clucking noises before announcing;
"Can't cuddle. Too heavy"

She turned to address the middle of her room. "Nurse, nurse! Baby ploorly, waiting for doctor." She held a one-sided conversation with the imaginary nurse for a few moments while I marvelled at the power of her make-believe.

She tucked Cupcake back under the covers next to me and planted a plethora of wet kisses directly on Cupcake's lips.

"Got nose-snot. Wipe Baby nose-sot. (nose-snot)"

She took her imaginary fissue (tissue) and blew Cupcake's nose for her while making fabulously realistic sound effects.

I started to giggle. She looked at me, giggling at the pretend nose-blowing, and widened her eyes.

She paused a heartbeat. A light went on: 'I'm making my mummy laugh.... I'm FUNNY!'

She giggled back. I giggled. She giggled some more.

There we sat, tucked up in her cot looking at each other nose to nose and giggling our heads off.

Now this is a side to motherhood that I could really get into. Beautifully removed from the practical sides of the job.

Imagination at the ready? Let's make-believe.




8 Comments:

Anonymous Pauline said...

I love it!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me smile even thousands of miles away!
and yes, these moments make it all worth while.... may there be millions and millions more... xoxox

chatty

1:17 AM  
Blogger s@bd said...

Not such a bad thing, this motherhood gig, eh?

4:05 AM  
Blogger The Fast & the Fabulous said...

Oh..oh oh... loving the fairy goddaughter!! And you! I'm smiling, have read it out loud to Ben and am smiling more xxx

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh only just read this "at work" and it's fabulous. xxx

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW the above comment was Laura xx

11:04 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Lovely to see you back :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hi Adele,
I've been reading your blog (instead of working) ever since I accidentally came across it. I had so much fun reading from the earliest to the latest posts! And I guess I just wanted to say thanks for sharing :)

Kind regards and blessings,
Lauren

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home